At Holywell Primary School, our vision for Art & Design is to give children opportunities to express themselves and to open their eyes to the world around them and search within themselves to explore and develop their own creativity.
The Holywell curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, printmaking, textiles, 3D and collage.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of Art and Design.
- Develop oracy and vocabulary skills to enable them to use artistic language meaningfully when talking about their work and the work of others.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
At Holywell, we follow the CUSP curriculum for Art and Design. The CUSP Art curriculum is organised into blocks with each block covering a particular set of artistic disciplines, including drawing, painting, printmaking, textiles, 3D and collage. Vertical progression in each discipline has been deliberately woven into the fabric of the curriculum so that pupils can revisit key disciplines throughout their Primary journey at increasing degrees of challenge and complexity.