Ten year 6 children spent the day in the Phiz Lab with scientist Dr Watson (not of Sherlock Holmes fame) investigating, building and evaluating different types of rockets. The lucky children had already won an air rocket competition in their own classes.
The children built lots of different types of rockets and tested each one afterwards to see who had come up with the best design. They took the best design and each had a go at making that design and tested the rockets for a second time this time testing them outside using a pump.
- blow rockets using straws and bits of paper
- paper rockets using empty pop bottles
- paper rockets using a bike pump and the build up of air pressure
- foam rockets using elastic bags
- rockets involving chemical reactions between vinegar and Alka-Seltzer
- water rockets using a bike pump and the build up of air pressure
The children had great fun and enjoyed the challenge and excitement of designing and building all of the different rockets.